Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas blend...tinkling bells...new year gongs...

Oh man, Monday morning coffee tastes SOooo good!

Still working on that Peet's French Roast this week. I'm also working on a generic, "less popular" coffee that I got at Grocery Outlet (that Christmas Blend where I shouldn't have used eggnog as a creamer). It’s pretty good; a little milk and a “spoonful of sugar” make my addictive morning stimulant go down.

Like I said in my last blog post, I'm not a coffee snob. I'll pretty much drink any java that's put in front of me, but once tasted, I cannot be held responsible for any reaction or look on my face - or words that might roll off my tongue - should it taste like crap. It does depends on the day or moment...most of the time I'll just suck it up and suck it down, but never actually ask me for an honest opinion about your coffee unless you really want to hear it! ;)

I do prefer grinding my own beans versus pre-ground coffee, but I usually stick to a tried-and-true for my every day fix. Lately, my every day coffee is (gasp!) a pre-ground espresso, CaféBustello…a yellow vacuum -packed can of hearty, eye-opening goodness. I also like the reasonably-priced Trader Joe’s “Joe” (is there an echo, echo, echo?). Honestly, I will pretty much buy anything my meager budget will allow and keep my mornings, well…grounded.

Starbucks, Peets, Seattle's Best, etc. all good coffee. Most of the time I prefer a little mom-and-pop coffeehouses to the commercial ones. For me, it’s not necessarily about experiencing the coffee itself, but where you experience as well…whether home or abroad. Hey, there are times you want a Big Mac…or what you really want is a Moo Burger at Mel and Faye's!

Which kinda brings me to today's topic: Name brands versus generics. Popular commercial versus little-known/local-humble. If I see coffee on sale, sure, I might give it a try. I received a few Starbucks gift cards for Christmas, and you can be sure those will always be put to good use. It’s all good; this is America, there’s room for everyone! I am not ashamed to say that I shop at thrift shops and dollar stores. I also love one-of-a-kind handmade stuff. Knowing that someone spent the time creating, crafting and putting a part of themselves into their creation makes me smile and feel real happy inside. That goes for coffee roasters, big and small, local and global. But most of the time, I’d rather choose to spend $5 on a generic can of coffee at Trader Joe’s versus $5 on a quad-shot Venti Carmel Macchiato at Starbucks.

On a somewhat related subject…not so long ago I received an email from a fan who stumbled across my Unorthodox Christianity blog, and read a few of my writings and posts. I have severely neglected that blog...in fact, I hadn't touched it in over a year. But don’t worry (or maybe you should)...I’ll resurrect it one of these days. It will most likely become my Sunday afternoon activity. That is, after I’ve had my Sunday nap. Don’t mess with my day of rest!

Anyhoo, here’s the exchange (below). Make yourself another cup, and enjoy!

______________

Carol,
"I would like you to know that I have never read any blog or print for that matter that adheres to my same beliefs of Christianity. I am not much of a "blogger" type person, but yours caught my eye for some reason and I read it. The more I read, the more I realized how much truth you have and was able to back your beliefs with scripture. I very much think that our modern Christian church will ultimately be the death of true Christianity...

"...As I see the world turning, humans need to resort back to the actual teaching of the Bible in layman's terms, rather than trying to categorize what "denomination" they are. I think that today's Christian music is turning more and more this way as well, as far as the contemporary side of the genre. It is all about giving someone a way of living that cannot be fathomed in a "black and white" perspective. The negative to all Christian marketing is, as you stated in your blog, all about the end dollar. At the end of the day, most not all, authors, musician, religious retail entrepreneurs, and even - sad to say but - churches and ministers are all about how we can make more money to grow in popularity to ultimately make more money for themselves. I often wonder if religious leaders had no wealth opportunities from their careers, how many of them would still do the same as they are today, just to simply spread the word of Jesus Christ...as it was originally meant in the Bible. I am not saying that is not what all those people are doing today, but would they still be interested in doing it with no compensation? I know there are some people out there for this sole purpose, but I would like to know how many are honestly not in it for just that reason. I look forward to your response to this email and would also like you to criticize my beliefs to help me learn more of your beliefs and values."

Sincerely,
Tyler

And...my response:

Hey, Tyler.
I can't really criticize anyone's beliefs. I believe that I can, however, criticize systematic beliefs/organized religion. I believe that all should have the freedom to follow their own path, their own journey, and do what is right for them, AS LONG AS 1) it is not hypocritical, and 2) does not harm others, or compel them to harm others "in the name of God".
What I also adamantly dislike are missions or "ministries" that entice people to join as members out of guilt, fear, or a false sense of social or political belonging and empowerment (cults, or cliquish, club-like denominations). Religious membership, in my opinion, causes division, prejudice and dangerous amounts of pride. When one believes that they are better than another, or have the "only truth", or believe that others are damned to hell if they don't go through some belief ritual or process, it is...well, not only a hurtful thing to do, but it also causes war and dissension.
You mentioned money and the "end dollar". I believe that money can be used for good and evil purposes. Many times, the issue is about the hands that money falls into. I love the story of the widow's mite (Luke 21:1-4), or Jesus' cleansing of the temple (Matt. 21:12-17), the coin from the fish's mouth to pay taxes (Matt: 17: 27) or the "render to Caesar" response (Mark 12:17). Money is a system...and it is and has always been worshiped as a god...but it's not a god that is easily competed with. Jesus is right; you cannot serve God and money, and who knows, there are some who might eventually learn the wrath of one god...or the other.
In the mean time, back at the ranch...have we even learned the basics? Love God, love our neighbors as ourselves, love our enemies. We haven't even learned how to love each other OR our own selves! That isn't the fault of religion; it's the fault of people who have been taught to love conditionally. It's the fault of people who did not teach their children how to love unconditionally. It's the fault of people who interpret scriptures that might lift their own selves or ministries up.
To me, organized religion/belief has become this very large prison system of souls filled with "Stockholm Syndrome"...and as a result, mainstream, contemporary Christianity, and its vast numbers of denominations and ministries have simply become a mass of "tinkling bells and resounding gongs" (1 Cor. 13:1)...dot com! ;)

Carol

___________________


No comments:

Post a Comment