Saturday, January 4, 2014

For the love of Peets...and the "root of all evil"?

Still chugging away at this Peet's French Roast this morning. I think I'm in the market for a new coffee maker...since my French press broke a couple months ago, I've had to use a 4-cup brewer. While I [somewhat] like the control of consumption of just a few cups at a time, I've been at the mercy of "auto-drip"...which can cause a caffeine addict such as myself to look at the clock and tap my foot.

Yesterday I bought some "Spiced Latte" Coffee Mate; it tastes a lot like gingerbread-flavored creamer. Lots of coffee creamers are on sale at a reduced price, now that the holidays are over. I ran out of my "real vanilla" that I bought online on MexGrocer.com, so I'm having to settle with some el-cheapo vanilla syrup that I spied at the dollar store. Not bad...not good either, but not bad.

A friend of mine recently posted the following article on her Facebook page. I found it interesting:


I loved that quote: "“How many Mozarts are working in steel mills?'”  Wow, how my musician cronies and I can relate to thatThe story of the unskilled worker, "Stanley", is a story that is true for so many people. As a musician most of my life, I’ve never really fallen under the “middle class” category. Like millions upon millions of Americans, I'd have to say that I'm in the class of the “working poor” as a church music director. I do love to live simply, and make no mistake, money is a systematic, necessary evil if you wish to survive in the ever-evolving economic climate(s). But when you see how those climates are being redefined, you do whatever is needed, always being aware of and slaying the proverbial "dinosaurs" along the way.

Notice I used the word "need". When a new product or service is introduced to any market or community, homework needs to be done. One needs to determine if the target demographics need the product/service. One needs to find out if there is already a saturation of products/services in a community before launching a web site or opening doors for business. One needs to calculate the risks associated with competition...the "latest and greatest" versus the "tried and true".

I run Amador Community News as a community media and promotions service for Amador County, California, and greatly appreciate my advertisers who believe and support in the principles of community media. I've never intended (and never will) to “get rich” off of ACN. I only charge $5/month or $50/year for advertising. I recently calculated that I make less than $5/hour...even less if my advertisers cannot renew. Yes, people think I'm crazy for charging so little, but I know how expensive it can be to promote a business or an organization's fundraising efforts. I happen to believe that you shouldn't have to sacrifice the hard-earned money saved and spent for your business or organization for advertising costs, which can run up into the hundreds, even thousands. But you'd be surprised at how many business owners and community groups cannot even afford $50/year. Or, at least, that's the story.

I've always had an entrepreneurial heart, mind and spirit, but I tend to do something that not many like to do these days: I like to share. I don't need a union to represent me, I don't need to be a part of corporate media. My present problem with ACN is growing pains...I'm getting to the point where I really cannot do this all on my own. I've had surges of feast or famine over the past seven years, but it's coming to the point where I really need department editors, reporters, writers. The pain of success is a good "problem" to have, yet there are many of us who face a "catch 22" in taking our products/services to the next level in an economic climate and government that has been set up to enslave, rather than enrich.

Make no mistake; changes need to be made. But unions aren't going to do it. Wall Street isn't going to do it. The government isn't going to do it, and I guarantee you that lawmakers and attorneys sure aren't going to do it. People will have to do it. How? By investing in other people, in their communities, in their local economy. It's easy to be distracted by national and global problems, and stories such as this one. However, I would like to see the stories of success by real people who have been helped by real people in their own communities, regardless of class. I have a few stories of my own; I know for a fact that ACN would not be doing so well today without the help of real people - rich or poor, male or female, gay or straight, conservative or liberal. The red herrings, like this article, might lead one to believe that there is only one solution.

I am only one person, and I know that there those who like to show off their own sandcastles by knocking others’ down, but that’s just not how I roll. I would rather invite more and more people over into my sandbox to share tools and toys. With me, there’s room for everyone. You don't even have to be my friend, you don't have to schmooze with me...hell, you don't have to like me at all. But I will help you in any way that I can. Why? 

Because I can. It's my job.

______________

Amador County is known as "Little Napa". Why? See for yourself! Take a friend (or many!) up to the Shenandoah Valley, and enjoy California's Zinfandel capitol.
______________

Need an AWESOME auto body/mechanic dude? I have a friend, Danny, in Sacramento who does AWESOME auto body work and repairs, at...I kid you NOT...a FRACTION of what you would pay elsewhere!  Dan the Auto Man. Give him a call, tell him that I referred you! 916-470-9767.
______________

Actually found this at SaveMart. I'm winding down my Netflix "Bollywood-A-Thon", but I've been craving Indian food:



















My fave Indian restaurant is Kaveri, off of Fulton here in Sac. A new one opened up a bit closer, Mirage, but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone want to join me?
______________

You can email me at: carol@coffeepong.com
Also on Facebook at: facebook.com/coffeepong







No comments:

Post a Comment